Thursday, April 21, 2011

Nerve Sheath Tumor Redux

Lili's Nerve Sheath Cancer has returned. I'm not treating her this time; I simply can't bear to carve up her leg anymore, plus there is almost no flesh left to excise as far as margins around the tumor, and she will be 14 in August. Her joint is pretty much frozen anyway. So we're passing our time, she and I, and treasuring it. She's still smiling, a crazy 13+ year old nut, canters along stiff legged. Spoiled girl, even though she CAN get up the ramp to the deck, she stands outside and barks for my help, which she doesn't need, just wants the reassurance of my hand on her ruff.

Rough.

But I'm blessed with this extra time with her. When we went through the three surgeries and radiation, it was almost four years ago now. The cost and anxiety (great on both counts) was worth every day I've had with her since.

2 comments:

nancy said...

By the way, she's not dead in this picture :-) only sleeping in her luxurious upside down way.

Unknown said...

I know the gift of extra time with pets... it is a gift and time to wrap your mind around the inevitable.

So glad to see you are blogging again... you have always had the gift of words.

I love to read your writing....