Friday, October 5, 2007

Jenny White Ray of Light


Well, it's October again. Lots of October birthdays in my family. My two brothers were both born in October, on the 3rd and the 5th of that month. I counted backwards and have concluded that they were both "New Years Eve" babies. I haven't asked my Mom about that.

And in October my sweet Jenny was born, October 21st, 1980. She would have been TWENTY SEVEN YEARS OLD this year. Amazing. Hard to talk about it even now. She died of cystic fibrosis just before she was 13 years old. Her mother died nine months later of cancer. And my brother - so strong - found a new path through life, as a side trail from the one he had been on. What else do you do? He is an inspiration about living through trials that would end the lives of some people. He set his face into life as a tribute to those he had lost.

I prefer to think about the wonderful times we had: Jenny, my 'white ray of light' her sly smile and sense of humor which she inherited from both her parents. Our hammock time at my Mom and Dad's. And her search for the perfect Christmas tree at her Grandpa and Grandma's on a very rare white Christmas season.

These anniversaries are difficult even so many years between. But Jenny was a pistol - never a victim or an invalid. So I have to believe she's over there on the other side bossing some folks around (her Mom right behind her!)

Jenny and Candy. I miss you.

No comments: