Saturday, October 20, 2007

SPINSTER CEMETERY, FLORENCE ITALY


Unmarried women. Generally, we're pretty happy. Especially as we hit 50 and most of our friends are getting divorced, with children in the mix (unhappily).

I just love the term "spinster". I actually had a family member use it to my face to "describe me" a couple of years ago. I was pretty astounded. What a throwback! I've had a number of men in my life, many wonderful and many more 'not so much'. So despite the fact that at least half my family is happily married, I've concluded that the natural order of things is for members of the opposite sex to live across the street from one another. Close enough to be companions as needed, and far away enough to get away from each other as needed. A close male friend dubbed it "Nancy's Love Commune" and offered to sell time shares.

So, a friend and I were traveling in Florence, Italy, and I wanted to see the "English Cemetery" which is right in the middle of the City in an urban island (It is actually owned by the Swiss). Elizabeth Barrett Browning is buried there. While wandering around, we found a great tombstone, "Sacred To the Memory of Ann Murray, SPINSTER obeit (died) May 6, 1843, Florence.

Well, we couldn't resist putting on our worst tragic faces and having our pictures taken.

Ann Murray, we honor you.

1 comment:

Sarah Bott said...

That is the fricking funniest picture!