Saturday, September 1, 2007

MEN IN MY FAMILY


I have great men in my family. My father and my two brothers are great people - sensitive without being wimpy, strong in the best sense of the word, funny and practical jokers. Plus, they can all build or fix anything. I am a well educated person, but I can't fix things to save my life. Absolutely no skill in that regard, and I so admire those who can build things and understand engines and 'stuff like that'. They've tried to teach me, but that knowledge just leaks away from me. I can't retain it.

Here is a poem I have saved and admired, and somehow embodies how I feel about the men in my family.

MALE IMAGE

I watch for my uncles to come in from the fields,
The three of them, big-shouldered men in overalls,
Their bare necks are streaked with dirt and sweat
Which I want to lick when they pick me up.
They are so warm and strong; they smell of summer:
The dark odor of horses, the dry green smell
of tomato plants, the tan smell of loam.
They taste male and I can't get enough of that.

They also talk male. Everyone else calls me Teddy
or Little Benny, after my father, who doesn't pick me up;
They call me "You bondit" which is Yiddish for rascal,
Or Butch McDevitt, which makes me feel like a cowboy.
When my uncle Moish puts Brownie in the stable,
He says, "Get in there, you son of a bitch".
Son of a bitch. I say it over and over after that,
When I rake the chicken yard, shuck the corn.
It's not a bad word anymore. Son of a bitch:
It's what men say when they are strong and happy
Because they have something hard to do.

Ted Solotaroff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And your sisters.....are they persona non grata?

She may have disowned them at an early age for scaring the crap outta her with her oldest brother's Jerry Mahoney doll - in the dark no less...also for insisting that she comb and style her hair a certain way or there was an elevator in the bedroom closet floor that would get her during the night and take her down to hell....

She was loved, can't you tell? What about your sisters? Again, I say....what about your sisters?